When you volunteer you:
- Choose to give your skills and time;
- Help out the community and the not-for-profit organisation you volunteer for;
- Get something out of it for yourself; and
- Work in a specially designed role.
Things to remember:
- It’s always a matter of choice;
- It only takes place in the not-for-profit sector;
- It’a about participating in the community;
- It’s unpaid; and
- It creates positive change.
Why is it important:
- It empowers individuals;
- It adds value to not-for-profit organisations;
- It strengthens communities;
- It can be a pathway to employment; and
- It’s worth billions to the community.
Your rights as a volunteer:
- To work in a healthy and safe environment;
- To be covered by insurance;
- Not to be discriminated against;
- Not to do the work of paid staff; and
- To receive an orientation and training.